Here's something else you may have missed. While the Public Radio Exchange was arranging a public contest that attracted over 1400 entrants, Launch, another group of public radio veterans was holed up in semi-secrecy conducting a parallel process. And so six finalists have been selected to produce pilot public radio programs, not three.
- Mark Bittman - Cookbook author, PBS host, and newspaper columnist. We have his book How to Cook Everything in our kitchen.
- Majora Carter - Founder of Sustainable South Bronx
- Julia Sweeney - Actress and comedian.
- Al Letson - Poet, playwright, director, author, actor.
- Glynn Washington - Director of the Council for Responsible Public Investment.
- Rebecca Watson - founder of Skepchick magazine and the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast.
Hopefully one day podcasting will be a bit more profitable and we'll see talented people like these finalists producing high quality programs that would sound at home on any public radio station -- but distributing them online with limited underwriting spots.